20 November 2013

I'm not happy

With Ronald Baytan
It's as if I was going out on a first date. I was both excited and anxious to meet my favorite professor, whom I haven't been in touch with for maybe 8 years. I was excited because, well, I love him, but I was also anxious because after such long time, I wasn't sure if I still knew how to talk to him. Because I felt like I have changed.

It's my fear of questions like, 'How are you?' and 'What have you been up to?' at work. For I take it as my duty to report nothing but good news. But then I'm missing the whole point of having a conversation—with someone wise and kind.

So it was a delightful surprise when he nonchalantly shared that he wasn't happy with his life. It may not be fair to indirectly quote him and subject him to misinterpretation, but what I'm trying to say is I have to learn to be honest with my friends like they are with me. Trust them.

Because despite all the adventures in the world, at the end of the day, all I want is the exhilaration of an honest conversation.

Top Shelf